Coachford’s Festival continues to deliver fun for all the family

The Coachford Autumn Festival has become one of the fastest growing family festivals in County Cork over the last five years. The festival is run over three days and provides families with a bucket load of entertainment and fun and something for everyone. This year’s festival, in aid of Suicide Aware and local charities runs from Friday August 15th to Sunday 17th and is filled with novel events and family favourites. A five mile road race kicks off events on Friday at 7pm. The run, approved by Athletics Ireland, is suitable for the novice and the expert athlete. Walkers are also welcome and registration is from 5.30pm to 6.30pm or online at www.eventmaster.ie On Saturday, August 16th the fifth annual High Nelly Bicycle Run takes place with over 50 antique and classic bicycles from the last century lining up to enjoy a trip back in time as they are cycled by their proud owners around the country roads in Coachford. Many of those who participated in this event over the last four years have dressed up in the clothes from the era that their bikes were first cycled. The run begins at the GAA grounds at 5pm and everyone is welcome. Keeping with the cycling theme, the Coachford Cycling Club will hold a Grass Racing event at the festival on Saturday evening at 7pm. The club are hoping for a large number of under 10 and 12 year olds to take part in this exciting event. Also on Saturday evening a Pet Dog Show will be held with lots of prizes available and even one for the ‘Best Dressed Dog’. The first ever Junior Agrilympics takes place on Saturday at 6pm when mixed teams of four will compete against each other in various farm tasks, such as Milking the cow and rolling the bale amongst others. Entry is free and it promises to be a lot of fun. Contestants for the first ever ‘Voice of the Festival’ competition are exercising their vocal chords and preparing their chosen song for Saturday August 16th. The fabulously talented bunch of male and female singers is set to entertain the large crowd of supporters who are expected to come out and cheer them on. The three judges will provide 60%of the marks while the audience vote will provide the other 40%. Votes are only €1 per person and you can vote as often as you like. Proceeds of the voting for ‘The Voice of the Festival’ go towards Suicide Aware and local charities. The competition begins around 9pm in the GAA hall. There will be full bar facilities and music afterwards. Entry to the GAA Hall is €5. Sunday August 17th is the main day of the festival and a huge number of people are expected to descend on the GAA grounds in Coachford from 12noon to view the large number of Vintage, Veteran and Classic Cars and tractors on display. People will also be able to enjoy the spectacles of Sheep Racing, and Agrilympics. Visitors to the festival on Sunday can also enjoy Tim O’Riordan of ‘Natural Gas’ in concert and partake in the many side shows; face painting, balloon modeller, funfair, welly throwing, sheaf tossing, children’s sports, Mini digger challenge, Model Toy display and egg throwing. A Bonny Baby, Yummy Mummy and Glamorous Granny competition are also part of this fabulous show. Entry to the Sunday show is only €5 per adult and all proceeds go towards Suicide Aware and local charities. Check out Coachford Autumn Festival on Facebook. Dara Herlihy, Brendán O’Sullivan and Danny Herlihy at the launch of the Coachford Autumn Festival Sheep Racing event on Sunday August 17th

Community