Ballincollig Basketball Club

Mens Match Reports Division 2(Red Team) extended their league record to 9-1 for the season with a hard fought victory over an experienced Cork Celts team. Some great rebounding and defence by Fionnan McDermott, Peter Davies and Kyl Hilliard gave the team a great platform to race out to a 21 point lead at half-time. Cork Celts came back strongly in the 3rd quarter and cut the deficit to 8 despite a great effort by Shane Lucey and Luke McNamara off the bench. Celts made further inroads in the fourth quarter to make it a 2 point game with 3 minutes left. However some quick offense on the fast break by Ben Noonan, Ryan O Halloran and both David Finn and Daniel Sisk ensured that Ballincollig would be going home with the win and closed out the game winning by 12 points. Our Division 2 (Blue Team) maintained their undefeated start to the season 7-0 by beating a strong Glanmire team in a repeat of their championship final victory against the same opposition the previous week. Ballincollig got off to a quick start with Garreth Blount hitting three quick 3 pointers and some big plays by Mike O Sullivan amongst others ensured that Ballincollig led big at the end of the 1st quarter. Glanmire came back into the game in the 2nd quarter and cut the lead to 12 points at the half. Ballincollig upped the tempo in the 3rd quarter with some strong press defence with Jose Horta and Florent Okalla coming to the fore. Some strong play by Julien, Gedis and Shane in the 4th quarter made sure of the win with Ballincollig winning comfortably by 14 points. Next up was our Division 1 team who, not to be outdone by the earlier success of our 2 Division 2 teams, managed to beat last year’s league champions Cork Celts. Ballincollig started well with some big baskets by Shane Mooney and Colin Murray to get out to an early lead with some good contributions from Neil O Sullivan, Cathal Geraghty, Damien Power and Mariss Brusevics. However Cork Celts were not going to make it an easy game and momentum seemed to be with them in the 2nd quarter when Shane Mooney was taken off injured with a sprained ankle after a promising start. Cork Celts then came back into the game with some big 3 pointers to take a 12 point lead at halftime. Ballincollig came to life in the 3rd quarter with some high intensity basketball from young guns Josh De Nijs, Alex Chandler, Patrick Mc Sweeney and Daire O’ Sullivan to lead by 2 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The game remained tight with each team exchanging the lead until Colin Murray, with a minute left made a big shot to give Ballincollig a 5 point lead and knock the steam out of the Cork Celts challenge in the end and in doing so extended their record to 6-1 with another fine win. Ladies Match Reports U14 GIRLS The U14 team have been busy over the past few weeks travelling to Mallow, Cobh and playing in the Johnny Murphy U14 Tournament in Cork. While results haven’t always gone their way their skill, courage and commitment have shone through. With nineteen players training the panel have agreed to a rotation of players for games. In league games they had narrow defeats in Mallow and Cobh but performances on the night were excellent. Both games saw several players take a huge step up in their up in their play. In the Championship they had a hard fought victory over Mallow. In the U14 Tournament they came up against St Colm’s of Limerick and Titans of Galway. The early morning game against St Colm’s was probably a bit early in day for some players and were beaten in a high scoring game. Against Titans we started slowly and at the end of the third quarter we were struggling to stay with our opponents. The fourth quarter saw a different Ballincollig and they put pressure on Titans that saw the deficit cut to single figures. Time ran out and a narrow loss in another high scoring game was our lot. However due to high scoring in our two games we qualified for the Quarter finals. Our opponents were to be Wildcats who we also were to meet in the Cork Championship quarter final. Both teams agreed to play the game as a double header and what a game it turned out to be. Ballincollig continued their good form of their previous game. With a quick start they commanded the first quarter and led by eleven points to two at the break. The second quarter was a closer affair with Wildcats narrowing the gap to two points. Ballincollig playing great defence kept Wildcats at bay and increased their lead to four points. The last quarter had a lot to play for with a Tournament and Championship semi final spot at stake. Both teams gave it everything and were feeling the effects of their efforts but neither were willing to lie down. Ballincollig held a lead of three points until eighteen seconds remaining when Wildcats scored a massive three pointers to level the game. Overtime looked a certainty with both teams out on their feet. Ballincollig called a time out where the players gathered themselves for one more scoring attempt. They were disappointed that they left their lead slip but were determined to win. An inbound ball, a controlled dribble with a drive to the basket saw a foul winning two free throws with three seconds remaining. With everything at stake and nerves of steel Ballincollig scored both free throws to clinch the game. It was a tremendous team effort. It would be unfair to mention any one player as this victory was achieved by a panel of players who accept they are part of a large squad who have a great bond and support each other whether on the match panel or watching from the bench. Unfortunately in the Tournament semi final they met an in form and eventual winning Brunell team but bowed out with their heads held high.