Inniscarra GAA news

Feile Peil Na nOg arrived in Cork on the 24th -26th June with Inniscarra as one of the host clubs. Inniscarra was one of only 5 clubs from Cork playing in Division 1 (Nemo Rangers, Carrigaline, Douglas and Glanmire the others). Inniscarra were hosts to Derry club O’Donovan Rossa who arrived on Thursday with many enthusiastic players, parents and supporters. Douglas hosted the other club in our group Ballyholland Harps from Co Down. Inniscarra played Douglas in the first match (15 minutes a half) and were beaten by 2-6 to 0-4. Whereas Douglas were the better team poor shooting at times didn’t help our cause. Douglas were first to score with a well taken goal but Inniscarra responded with a Sean McCarthy point after good work by Josh Ambrose and Sean Leisk. Douglas seemed destined for a second goal but a brilliant block down by Oisin O’Brien rescued the situation. A good save and clearance by keeper Andrew McCarthy found Shea Dineen and after a good run he found Jack Walsh who found Sean McCarthy who scored a second point. Inniscarra trailed by 2-2 to 0-2 at half time and Douglas tagged on two more points after the resumption. Good work by captain Colin O’Leary at mid field released Eoghan Barrett who was fouled and Sean McCarthy pointed the free. Josh Ambrose shot came back of the cross bar and Oisin Morris scored a point from the rebound. Final score Inniscarra 0-4, Douglas 2-6. Second game O’Donovan Rossa (Derry) 2-6, Ballyholland Harps 1-4. Third game Douglas 6-3, O’Donovan Rossa 1-6. Inniscarra played Ballyholland Harps in the next match and were well in control in this game with Sean Quinlivan and Neil Vaughan to the fore. A point by Sean McCarthy after good work by Stephen Linehan opened the scoring. Ethan Pigott cleared a great ball from defence to Cian Connolly who was fouled and Sean Leisk pointed the free. A good run by the impressive Liam O’Connor who passed to Oisin Morris and he made no mistake slotting the ball to the net and he followed with a second goal shortly afterwards from a good clearance by James Flannery. Oisin O’Brien repeated his block down when two Down forwards were through on goal and Liam O’Connor scored a great point to leave half time Inniscarra 2-3 Down 0-4.Sean McCarthy pointed followed by a purple patch by Sean Aherne when he scored a goal and two points in quick succession. Josh Roberts pointed after good passing involving Tom O’Sullivan and Sean Lynch. A pointed free by Liam O’Connor completed the scoring. Inniscarra 4-7, Down 1-6. That completed Fridays play and it was back to Ballyanly on Saturday morning for two more games. Inniscarra played their guests O’Donovan Rossa and this was a very close affair with Inniscarra losing by just a point at the end. Stephen Linehan scored the first point after good work by Colin O’Leary and Neil Vaughan. Sean McCarthy pointed before a long clearance by Keith O’Mahony found Oisin Morris and he scored a great goal. In the second half Inniscarra could only score one point by Liam O’Connor and the final score was Inniscarra 1-3. O’Donovan Rossa 0-7. Inniscarra then progressed to Ballincollig to play Glanmire in the Shield quarter-final but lost by 1-9 to 0-7. The second game on Saturday was between Inniscarra and O’Donovan Rossa second teams. This resulted in an Inniscarra victory by 5-6 to 0-3. Points by Cian Murphy, Josh Roberts and Brian Dinan started the scoring before Sean Lynch goaled after good work by John Gould and Conor O’Riordan. Another goal followed by Brian Dinan after a good pass from John Buckley. John O’Connell and Sean McLoughlin were in control at midfield with Evin Cunningham powerful at full back ably assisted by Tom O’Sullivan and James Doyle. John Lehane played very well alongside Ethan Pigott. Mark Linehan played outfield in the second half and scored a goal with John Gould making many good saves in goal.

U14 Premier 2A Hurling Championship Final, Cuchullans 2 – 12, Inniscarra 1 – 7. In the Fe14 Premier 2A County Hurling Championship Final Inniscarra came up short against a strong Cuchullans side made up of players from Kanturk and Lismire. After a poor start when they fell behind by  1 – 3 to no score after 10 minutes  Inniscarra settled and two well taken long range points by Stephen Linehan and Sean McCarthy settled the nerves and from then to the end it was a very even contest. Another point from Sean McCarthy after a good run by Sean Aherne and a pointed free by Oisin Morris left seven points between the sides approaching half time but then Cuchullans got a fortituous goal when Evin Cunningham in goal made a first class save but from the rebound the ball was bundled into the net to leave the score at half time Cuchullans  2 – 8, Inniscarra 0 – 4. Inniscarra were very determined in the second half and strong play from Sean Leisk and John Gould led to a free converted by Oisin Morris. James Flannery now operating very effectively at corner forward was fouled and Oisin converted the free.A long clearance by Tom O’Sullivan to Josh Ambrose found Jack Walsh who was fouled and Oisin duly obliged with the resultant free. With Liam O’Connor and Shea Dineen playing outstanding in the half back line and Colin O’Leary a driving force at mid field Inniscarra were now on top and good play by Eoghan Barrett found Stephen Linehan who set up Oisin Morris for a well taken goal. However time ran out and the game finished Cuchullans 2 – 12, Inniscarra 1 – 7. Considering Inniscarra were short five of the starting fifteen in the semi-final victory over Cobh this was a very creditable performance with all replacements performing particularly well so the future looks promising for this group of players.

Rebel Og Squads Well done to Colin O’Leary, Sean McCarthy (U14 football), Fergal O’Leary, Jack O’Sullivan, Mark Buckley, Padraig Holland (U15 hurling), Con O’Leary, Liam Ryan and Owen McCarthy (U16 hurling) on making this summer’s Rebel Og squads.