Blarney GAA News

Cloughduv Too Strong In Mid Cork Final. Cloughduv defeated Blarney in the Mid Cork Junior Hurling Final in Coachford on a score line Blarney 0-9 Cloughduv 0-20. Cloughduv opened the scoring with a point from play after 3 minutes, but Eugene McCarthy quickly responded a minute later with a well taken point. After 9 minutes the sides were level, 3 points each, thanks to a Michael John Shine free and a David Cremen point from play. Both teams had similar amount of ball possession in the first half, but Cloughduv found it easier to score. The next 15 minutes Cloughduv scored 5 points before Michael John Shine popped over a free on the 28th minute. The green and yellow from the west of the Muskerry division scored the last point of the second have with the teams going in at the break Blarney 0-4 Cloughduv 0-9. Blarney came out in the second half with no team changes with Cloughduv making two substitutes at half time. Cloughduv dominated the second half, with their superior fitness showing as the half progressed. Blarney first score of the half came on the 13th minute with a point from Alan McEvoy. Blarney had made a number of changes at this stage with Ross McNamara, Patrick Crowley and Kevin Cremen all coming on. Cloughduv still dominated in the middle of the field with Blarney finding it hard to win breaking ball. They continued to pick off their points and showed why they have dominated this competition over the last number of years. With 5 minutes to go, Eoin Mulane was brought down in the square as Blarney searched for a goal. McCarthy missed the penalty to what was a disappointing afternoon for the team. On the 27th minute McEvoy got Blarney’s score of the game with a trade mark point from the left wing. Two minutes later, another minor Kevin Cremen got the last Blarney point 50 metres from goal. Cloughduv fully deserved their victory on the day but the game will benefit the development of the young players on the team. Blarney: Richard O’Shea, Stephen O’Brien, Daniel Cronin, Vincent O’Mahony, Donal O’Neill, Sean Twomey, Alan McEvoy, Stephen Sheedy, Sean Crowley, Eugene McCarthy, Craig Sykes, Owen O’Connor, Darragh Kelly, David Cremen, Michael John Shine.

Munster & All Ireland Medals For Club Players. Big congratulations to the Blarney players who won All Ireland and Munster Medals on Saturday 29th of August last with their respective Rebel Og hurling teams. Well done lads! U14A All Ireland Shane Barrett U14B All Ireland Paudi Power U15A Munster Declan Hanlon U16B All Ireland Conor Power U17A All Ireland Conor Murphy

BFS continues to support club on and off the field. Stephen Blake of Blarney Filling Station has kindly supported our club again this year. Pictured is our Chairman Kevin Kelleher and representatives from the Junior A Football showing our appreciation to Stephen Blake for his continued support. Thanks to Stephen and all the team at the BFS.

Blarney survive a second half scare to reach the Muskerry U21 Hurling Championship Final. It was a perfect evening for hurling in Ballincollig last night and the main pitch was in excellent condition for the contest. Blarney started well and were four points up after 6 minutes thanks to Shane Mulcahy, Barra O’Connell and Mark Coleman points. Eire Og got their first score after 9 minutes after missing a few earlier frees. On the 13th minute David Dunlea broke away from his marker to score Blarney’s first goal of the evening. Coleman and Dunlea both got points from play straight after to leave the score board read Blarney 1-6 Eire Og 0-1. Darragh Kelly added his name to the score sheet in quick succession scoring two points from play a few minutes later. Barra O’Connell showed skill and determination to beat two defenders and score Blarney’s second goal on the 29th minute giving Blarney a 12 point lead. However on the stroke of half time Eire Og were awarded a few fifty metres from goal which was miss hit and found its way into the Blarney net. The sides went in at the break Blarney 2-10 Eire Og 1-4. Eire Og came out strong in the second half scoring the first three points. Coleman scored Blarney’s first score of the second half from a free on the 41st minute. As the half progressed Eire Og became a stronger opposition, growing in confidence. On the 46st minute there was only a goal between the sides, Blarney 2-12 Eire Og 1-12. Two minutes later Eire Og scored another point to setup a nervous finish to the game. Blarney battled hard and found another gear with David Dunlea leading by example to make things happen in the forward line. Coleman pointed a few frees in the remaining minutes and was also setup by Dunlea for an easy finish to the Eire Og net with 1 minute on the clock. Two minutes later Dunlea got a point from play himself with Kevin Cremen scored the last point of the game two minutes into added time. Blarney played Inniscarra in the final on the 4th of September last in Cloughduv under lights. Please see our website for the match report. Blarney: Conor Murphy, Paul O’Connor, Stephen Sheedy, Anthony O’Shea, Cormac O’Mahony, Peter Philpott, Alan McEvoy, Ray Murphy, Shane Mulcahy, Darragh Kelly, Mark Coleman, Conor Forde, Kevin Cremen, Barra O’Connell, David Dunlea. Substitutes who came on: Sean Hennigan, Dan McSweeney.

Junior A hurlers showed great team spirit and resolve to defeat near neighbours Inniscarra in the semi-final of the Muskerry Junior A Hurling Championship on the 15th of August last in Donoughmore. The blue and white of Inniscarra got off to a better start, who played down the hill in the first half and were three points up after five minutes. It took nearly nine minutes for Blarney to open their account thanks to a point from Stephen Sheedy. Both teams exchanged points on the 13th and 15th minute respectively. As the half progressed, Blarney settled into the game. Daniel Cronin at full back & Eugene McCarthty at wing forward showed their experience and led by example throughout the hour. McCarthy scored a fine point on the 22nd minute to leave one point between the sides, with Inniscarra leading six points to five. Inniscarra who played with more possession in the first half scored another point before the break to leave the half time score Blarney 0-4 Inniscarra 0-6. The half time break saw Blarney make two substitutions. Alan McEvoy replaced Dan McSweeney and Kevin Cremen came on for Michael John Shine. McCarthy now taking over free taking duties from Shine, opened the scoring with a free thirty five metres from goal. Inniscarra replied two minutes later with a point of their own. On the 37th minute Sheedy got his second point of the game, but moments later Inniscarra found the Blarney net to make the score board read Blarney 0-6 Inniscarra 1-7. Blarney raised their intensity and were awarded minutes later when Darragh Kelly pulled on the thirteen metre line to put the ball past the Inniscarra goalkeeper. A minute later Cremin showed great skill to beat his man and shoot from distance to bring the sides level. On the 47th minute Paul O’Connor was introduced for Craig Skyes and a minute later Cremen pointed again which brought Blarney into the lead for the first time. The last ten minutes were exciting for the Blarney following on an ideal evening for this championship encounter. Five minutes later, Blarney goal keeper Richard O’Shea picked out McEvoy on his own forty five metre line. Using his pace, he ran past his marker into open space to strike the point of the game from the left wing. McCarthy added another point minutes later and Blarney captain Donal O’Neill score the final score from play to seal the game for the men in red and white. Final score read Blarney 1-11 Inniscarra 1-7. 1 photo of Damien Hyde attached. Buckley Fires B’s into Semi Final. Three first half goals by Ciaran Buckley gave Blarney a solid foundation to overcome Aghabullogue in Donoughmore on the 12th of August last in the quarter final of the Muskerry Junior B Hurling Championship. Aghabullogue opened the scoring with a point on the first minute but Blarney quickly responded two minutes later with a great individual goal from Buckley. Buckley got his second goal of the evening on the fifth minute of the game, pulling on the ground into the corner of the net from a nice touch down by Niall Hayes. For the next fifteen minutes both sides exchanged points with Aghabullogue playing down the hill scoring points from distance. Buckley got his hat trick of the night on the twenty third minute with the score board now reading 3-6 to 0-6. A few minutes later Blarney goal keeper Shane Jordan made a fine save to prevent Aghabullogue hitting the net before half time. From the same play the ball went up the field and Damien Hyde coolly pointed from fifty metres. The half time score read Blarney 3-8 to Aghabullogue 0-8. It was all Aghabullogue in the opening minutes of the second half. Blarney’s defence was tested with the green and white going for goal on many occasions. Great defensive performances lead by Blarney captain Cian O’Mahony ensured Blarney kept Aghabullogue goalless. Aghabullogue got the first three points of the second half. It took Blarney twleve minutes to get a score, thanks to a Shane O’Keeffe point from play. Half way through the second half Aghabullogue were dealt a major blow when one of their defenders was shown red for an off the ball incident on Niall Hayes. Colm Sheehan pointed the resulting free with Hayes scoring a fine point from play a minute later. As the half progressed Blarney made a number of substitutes. Donal O’Leary got Blarney’s fourth goal of the night on the twenty fifth minute thanks to good vision from Buckley to find the corner forward in space. That score was the last of the game with the final score reading Blarney 4-13 to Aghabullogue 0-11. Blarney played Cloughduv in the semi final on the 3rd of September last in Ballincollig. Please see our website for the match report. Blarney: Shane Jordan, Padraig Conway, Daniel O’Donovan, Mark Phlean, Alex Dineen, Cian O’Mahony, Richard O’Driscoll, Wayne Shine, Robert White, Colm Sheehan, Shane O’Keeffe, Damien Hyde, Niall Hayes, Ciaran Buckley, Cian Sexton.

Clondrohid too strong for junior footballers It was fine day for football and the Coachford pitch was in good condition for the quarter final encounter between Blarney and Clondrohid. It was game number five for Clondrohid in the championship while Blarney had had a three month layoff following a great first round win and then received a bye in the draw. Clondrohid opened the scoring with a great point from play. Ray Murphy was accurate from the frees and scored twice in the first ten minutes make it two points each. Both of the defences were on top, closing down most of the scoring opportunities but when Clondrohid broke through Blarney’s rearguard, keeper Shane Jordan produced a great save with his leg to prevent the ball finding the bottom left. Clondrohid dominated for the next ten minutes scoring four points without reply, three points of these from play. Temporary substitute Cormac O’Mahony scored a great point with five to go in the half and subsequently stayed on the pitch. Clondrohid then scored three more on the trot from play before the half finished when Blarney scored a point from Brian Hurley, he receiving the ball from a short free and kicked over. The half-time scoreline was Blarney 0-4 Clondrohid 0-9 Clondrohid came out in the second half with the aim of slowing down the game, by holding onto possession, to grind out the result and for that reason it was ten minutes before Clondrohid re opened the scoring. Ray Murphy, Colin Murphy and Keith Costello scored one each from play within two minutes as Blarney began to convert their chances and mount a comeback charge. Clondrohid again showed the class when it mattered, scoring four from play without reply. The last of these scores came from a shot on goal that was saved over the bar by Shane Jordan, who was determined not to be passed. With a two to go Colin Murphy found the net but it was too late for Blarney. Clondrohid kicked a free injury time win by six, the final scoreline Blarney 1-7 Clondrohid 0-16. Clondrohid’s ability to kick great scores from play at crucial time was something that Blarney lacked and seemed to be the difference. S.Jordan, J.Barrett, E.Murphy, V.O’Mahony, P.Philpott, J.Jordan, D.McSweeney, P.O’Leary, R.O’Donovan, B.Hurley, K.Costello, C.Murphy, S.Vickery, R.Murphy. Scorers: C.Murphy 1-1, R.Murphy 0-3(2f), C.O’Mahony, B.Hurley and K.Costello 0-1 each.

The adult teams got new training gear this year thanks to sponsorship from McCarthy McSweeney Accountants. Above Jim McCarthy of McCarthy McSweeney Accountants recently presented the new gear to club chairman Kevin Kelleher and representatives from the adult teams.